[Dovecot] Re: Small change to make dovecot pop3uw-imapmigrationfriendly

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun May 30 22:55:39 EEST 2004

Brian Candler <B.Candler at pobox.com> writes:

> The main purpose of UIDL is for when clients leave mail on the server; each
> time they connect they issue UIDL to check for new mail. So if they have
> 1000 messages held on the server, each time they log in you don't want to
> have to open and read each of those 1000 files.

And clients will also assume that you don't insert messages into the
middle of the mailbox, but append them at the end of the list, and that
message-number <-> UIDL assignments remain in the known order
(obviously, DELE from the middle will change the assignment overall, but
if you had

no  uid
 1  abc
 2  def
 3  ghi

dele 2 should keep 1 abc and 2 ghi.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95