[Dovecot] Filesystem requirements

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 1 15:51:02 EET 2004

On 26.10.2004, at 14:54, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> What are the filesystem requirements for dovecot - for example I see
> some people are running with atime updates switched off (as I intend to
> do so myself), so presumably dovecot has no need of an accurate atime
> implementation.
>
> How about directory atime?  ctime/mtime etc?

Only place where atime is used is when listing mboxes. If atime <
mtime, the mailbox is returned with \Marked flag. It might be of a
small optimization for some clients, but not very important.

ctime is checked with dotlocks, but mtime is as well.

mtime is used in a lot of places and it should be accurate. For both
directories and files.