[Dovecot] strange timeout with ssl

Reuben Farrelly reuben-dovecot at reub.net
Fri Nov 5 06:49:28 EET 2004

Hi Arnaud,

At 01:03 p.m. 5/11/2004, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>First sorry for my poor english.
>
>slack 9.1
>dovecot-0.99.11 (thanks for this) compiled with openssl (0.9.7b)
>MUA : Mozilla 1.5 (win32)
>
>Under a ssl session, at first, it's work. But a later ago, i recieved alway,
>when i tried to contact the server imap : "connecting to <host> timed out ..."
>
>This fact is never without ssl.
>
>No dns problems.
>
>I don't know how can i help you my best because i don't see the problem.
>
>So, i give you this information. Hope it will be help you for a solution. But
>its seem to be ok.
>
>#openssl s_client -host localhost -port 993 -verify -debug
>---
>SSL handshake has read 841 bytes and written 340 bytes
>---
>New, TLSv1/SSLv3, Cipher is AES256-SHA
>Server public key is 1024 bit
>SSL-Session:
>     Protocol  : TLSv1
>     Cipher    : AES256-SHA
>     Session-ID:
> ED349971D46EC76E2F75BB80ED52A0D081CE10B609F4761E176361629C9AE6AD
>     Session-ID-ctx:
>     Master-Key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>     Key-Arg   : None
>     Start Time: 1099614038
>     Timeout   : 300 (sec)
>     Verify return code: 18 (self signed certificate)
>---
>* OK dovecot ready.
>
>// timeout :
>
>* BYE Disconnected for inactivity.
>read:errno=0
>
>Thanks very much.
>
>Regards,
>Arnaud Lacroix.

I've also experienced this today, but initially thought this was just a
case of Outlook playing up at work.  I had the problem when transferring
mail from a local mailbox on my laptop, to a folder on the IMAP server at
home via SSL enabled IMAP.  Occasionally I'd go to transfer a few messages
and almost all would go, but the session would hang and eventually Outlook
would say that the server had timed out.  Then I'd transfer the remaining
few messages just fine.

I would also get these messages in the dovecot log:

dovecot: Nov 05 12:51:27 Warning: IMAP(reuben): Timeout leak: 0x8072060

 From gdb:
(gdb) x 0x8072060
0x8072060 <index_removal_timeout>:      0x31e58955
(gdb)

Running -CVS, and haven't tried via non-SSL enabled IMAP from said laptop,
but I am not running SSL at home and never experience the
problem...  (using Eudora)

Reuben