[Dovecot] dovecot 1.0-test52 build notes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 8 04:19:16 EET 2004

On 6.11.2004, at 23:19, Mark E. Mallett wrote:

> which kinda got me where I wanted, except that if I want a dovecot-1.0
> executable in /usr/local/sbin I need to add that by hand, and also that
> the build process added another subdirectory "dovecot":
>
>    /usr/local/lib/dovecot-1.0/dovecot/
>
> I can (and did) manually remove that final directory and flatten out
> the
> tree, and fortunately you've made it possible to specify in
> dovecot.conf
> the paths to all the executables and so forth.  But it would be nice to
> be able to create this desired layout entirely via configure and not
> have to move things around after the fact.  Is that even possible?
> Obviously, don't spend a lot of time on it.. but if I'm missing an
> option that would get me where I want, I'd be interested in knowing
> about it.

Those configure options are mostly meant to specify locations to some
root directories in some UNIX filesystem "standard". I don't think it's
worth the trouble to make it possible to specify every single
subdirectory that Dovecot uses now, or might use in future, to
configure.

Your configure script parameters are long enough that you might as well
build a script that moves the files exactly where you want :)

>     /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
>     /usr/local/lib/dovecot/pop3
>
> So it looks like there are a couple of places where the configured
> paths aren't caught (or so it would seem).

These are module directories. Use --with-moduledir too.