[Dovecot] make error

Ken Woodward (IS) kwoodwrd at IS1.mum.edu
Fri Nov 12 20:06:40 EET 2004

Dear DINH and TIMO,

Here are the last lines before the fatal error.  It says that "set fnord ;
amf=$2; \ "  is the command that caused the error.
Does this make any sense to you?

"if test "$dot_seen" = "no"; then \
  make  "$target-am" || exit 1; \
fi; test -z "$fail"
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /r/downloads/dovecot-0.99.11/src
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
set fnord ; amf=$2; \
dot_seen=no; \
target=`echo all-recursive | sed s/-recursive//`; \
list='src doc'; for subdir in $list; do \
  echo "Making $target in $subdir"; \
  if test "$subdir" = "."; then \
    dot_seen=yes; \
    local_target="$target-am"; \
  else \
    local_target="$target"; \
  fi; \
  (cd $subdir && make  $local_target) \
   || case "$amf" in *=*) exit 1;; *k*) fail=yes;; *) exit 1;; esac; \
done; \
if test "$dot_seen" = "no"; then \
  make  "$target-am" || exit 1; \
fi; test -z "$fail"
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /r/downloads/dovecot-0.99.11
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'
/r/downloads/dovecot-0.99.11>"\

=============================

I can include my complete config.log which does complete with no indication
of failure reported at the end, BUT, inside it  does list fatal errors like:

"configure:2802: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lcposix   >&5
ld: fatal: library -lcposix: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest"

AND

"Undefined                       first referenced
socket                              /var/tmp//ccsUoghx.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:21217: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */  "

AND

"Undefined                       first referenced
inet_addr                           /var/tmp//cceuY9Eo.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:21383: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */   "

Thanks for your help.

P.S. Was I supposed to send a new message to dovecot at dovecot dot org like
this or reply to your message?