[Dovecot] .INBOX required?

Todd Slater dontodd at columbus.rr.com
Fri Nov 19 19:04:16 EET 2004

Hi,

Newbie to Dovecot and IMAP in general. The system in question is RH 9,
Dovecot 0.99.11, Maildir, accessing mail with SquirrelMail, Thunderbird,
Kmail, Mutt, Entourage and Mail.app.

I've set up the maildir for users in ~/Maildir. Inside that I have other
folders, .Sent, .Drafts, .Trash, .Junk, .MakeJunk, .MakeGood.

~/Maildir itself has the cur, new, and tmp folders, but I note that
there is also an .INBOX folder. Mail to the account does end up in
~/Maildir/new and it's readable in the various MUA's (as Inbox). I'm
just not certain why the .INBOX is there, and if I'm supposed to be
creating the other folders as .INBOX.otherfolder.

Thanks,
Todd