[Dovecot] IMAP - many folders?

Mark E. Mallett mem at mv.mv.com
Mon Nov 22 21:10:40 EET 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 11:49:27AM +1100, Gregory Bond wrote:
> Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:
>
> >So my question is "how hard would it be to change sources to make '/' to
> >be default delimiter"?
> >

> Very.
>
> Maildir specifically uses .folder.folder names so that the IMAP server
> can find _all_ the folders by reading a single top-level directory.  If
> sub-folders were stored ../folder/folder, then the IMAP server would
> have to scan the entire mail directory (in my case, several gigabytes)
> every time it started up, so it could find the list of folders.

Then again, the imap delimeter and how the files are stored are two
different things.  One could map a different delimiter into the same
storage layout, except that you'd then have to deal with the case of
the storage delimeter appearing in folder names.  But there are
various ways to deal with that.

mm