[Dovecot] [OT] Apple Mail.app access to localhost imap when no network

Rob Davies rob at ftp.rjdarts.com
Tue Nov 23 03:52:25 EET 2004

Morning
On 22 Nov 2004, at 6:26pm, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sorry for the offtopic subject, but I tried asking this on some Apple
> mailing lists and could not find an answer there, and as it's related
> to imap (provided by dovecot), someone might know something about
> this.
>
> The problem is the following: I have a local IMAP server provided by
> dovecot,

Local as your machine you are using or local area network?

> so that I can store my mail in maildir format, and read it both using
> mutt and Apple Mail.app. Mail.app is configured to access
> localhost:143 to access mail.

So this says it is machine you are using?

> However, I discovered that when there is no network connection (no
> ethernet cable plugged in and no wifi network), Mail.app is saying
> that it's working in disconnected mode and refuses to access the imap
> server.

If it is your machine you are using try using its actual IP address.

> Would someone have a suggestion as to what to do to allow connected
> access to localhost when no network is present? I'm very new to OS X
> (I come from Linux).

If you have specified a specific interface through dovecot.conf, change
it too imap_listen = *

HTH

Cheers!
Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com

"It is the world which makes known to us our belonging to a
subject-communtiy, especially the existence in the world of the
manufactured objects." Sartre.