[Dovecot] [OT] Apple Mail.app access to localhost imap when no network

Sean Porter dovecot at seanporter.com
Tue Nov 23 19:50:39 EET 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 3:20 AM, Alan Schmitt wrote:

> I agree with all this, and here the server is "localhost", which is
> perfectly accessible (at least by telnet). I guess Mail.app developers
> have not considered this possibility, so they just test for network
> connectivity instead of access to the server.

Undoubtedly there's some CFNetwork function that Mail checks to see if
the network is up and mailboxes can be 'online.'  This is desired
behavior for 99.99999999999% of OS X laptop users. ;^)

You could try using Thunderbird, as (like Firefox and Safari) this is
nearly a note-by-note clone of Mail.app in terms of UI.

Sean