[Dovecot] [OT] Apple Mail.app access to localhost imap when no network

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Nov 24 12:19:53 EET 2004

Alan Schmitt said:
> I agree with all this, and here the server is "localhost", which is
> perfectly accessible (at least by telnet). I guess Mail.app developers
> have not considered this possibility, so they just test for network
> connectivity instead of access to the server.

Here's another thought, I don't know if mail.app allows you to do this.
Evolution allows me to configure a so-called "IMAP command" that is called
instead of making a connection to localhost:143 and provides an already
authenticated IMAP connection on stdin/out. I've been using a small script
that exports a few environment variables and then exec's
/usr/lib/dovecot/imap to do exactly this -- no network involved and the
best thing is that I don't even need to enter a password for local access.

johannes