[Dovecot] Entourage on Dovecot 09.11, is 1.0-test the answer?

Michael Maggard michael at michaelmaggard.com
Wed Nov 24 23:27:16 EET 2004

Background:

I'm running a RH9 box with Dovecot 0.99.11. Dovecot was installed using yum and the rpm found on http://dag.wieers.com/packages/dovecot/. With two exceptions I've been enormously happy with Dovecot. I'm even happier having recently successfully installed pop-before-smtp sop one exception down. However the other problem I've experienced is becoming critical.

I've an ongoing issue with MS Entourage clients, a MS for Mac product, unable to authenticate to Dovecot. This had been attributed to MacOS 9/MS Entourage 2001 but with new systems in place I'm having the same issue with MacOS X/MS Entourage 2004 being unable to authenticate to Dovecot.

MS acknowledges the issue in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871016 with the errata:
> 5  Known issues
> 5.1  NTLM v1 authentication support
> Entourage no longer supports NTLM v1 authentication. Entourage does support NTLM v2.

Where I am now:

There has been previous references to an Entourage authentication issue on the mailing list but it was resolved by "after I tried everything else with no success, upgrading from Dovecot 0.99.10.2 to 0.99.10.4 solved the problem." Well, I'm at 0.99.11 so apparently this is back, or something else is going on.

>From several hours going over the mailing list it appears that Dovecot 1.0-test is the solution with it's extended NTLM support. However I'm not a very sophisticated sysadmin and so it was with trepidation I downloaded dovecot-1.0-test52 and started following the instructions. After a quick "yum install openssl-development" I thought I was good to go but alas "./configure --with-ssl=openssl" resulted in:

> ./configure: line 26374: pkg-config: command not found
> checking for SSL_read in -lssl... yes
> checking openssl/ssl.h usability... no
> checking openssl/ssl.h presence... no
> checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
> checking openssl/err.h usability... yes
> checking openssl/err.h presence... yes
> checking for openssl/err.h... Yes

and make failed with a cascade of errors after:

> In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
>                  from ssl-proxy-openssl.c:14:
> /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory

Why I'm posting:

So, hoping I've given enough detail to be useful, here are my questions:

* Am I correct that MS Entourage 2004 can't authenticate with Dovecot .99.11? Are there folks it does work for (how)?
* Am I correct that Dovecot-1.0-test has support for NTLMv2 and would thus authenticate MS Entourage 2004?
* Does anyone have a prebuilt (yum suitable) rpm of a recent Dovecot 1.0-test for RH9? Dag appears to only carry released versions, is there a source for -test ones?
* Is there something trivial I'm overlooking in trying to build dovecot-1.0-test52? I'm assuming I'm missing /usr/include/openssl/kssl.h, is this correct?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I was pushing my skillset getting pop-before-smtp working. While I'm good at following directions and learning from them I'm just that; learning.

-- Michael <michael at michaelmaggard.com>