[Dovecot] Orientation and configuration help

J Moore jaymo at cullmail.com
Sun Nov 28 06:36:46 EET 2004

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 04:08:51AM +0100, the unit calling itself Wouter Van Hemel wrote:

> >I've installed dovecot, and reviewed /etc/dovecot.conf. I think I need
> >to do the following to get underway:
> >
> >1) create a directory for Maildir-formatted folders:
> >  mkdir /home/<username>/Maildir
> >

> I haven't used maildir yet, but I think dovecot makes that directory
> automatically when you set the mail environment in dovecot.conf.
>
> http://www.dovecot.org/doc/mail-storages.txt
>
> >2) start the dovecot daemon
> >
> >Is that it? Will dovecot "take over" from mutt, and put mail in my home
> >directory? Or do I need to configure sendmail to deliver to dovecot?
> >

> No, dovecot doesn't deliver anything. Your MTA (or LDA) configuration will
> determine where mail ends up. You just tell dovecot where to find the
> mailbox files with the default_mail_env variable (see dovecot.conf).

OK - I see that now. I kind of glossed over it when I read the file as
it indicated that dovecot would try to detect this automatically.

When you say, "[My] MTA [] will determine where the mail ends up." I
assume you mean where it delivers the mail. In my case, sendmail leaves
all mail in /var/mail/<username>; I believe this is "mbox format"???

So if I understand, I need the following entry in /etc/dovecot.conf:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

Is that correct?

Thnx,
Jay