AW: Re: [Dovecot] [OT] Apple Mail.app access to localhost imap whe n nonetwork

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Nov 29 04:51:01 EET 2004

On 26.11.2004, at 11:50, Johannes Berg wrote:

> No. I don't want to exec dovecot as a whole as that would force me to
> log in again, exactly what I want to avoid. And in this case, the
> listen
> directives in dovecot.conf don't matter _at all_ (in fact, you can make
> it so dovecot doesn't run at all).
>
> I do think that I don't even need a dovecot.conf, but I'm not too sure
> about that. Timo?

dovecot.conf is only read by dovecot binary, so it's not used if you
run imap binary directly. But instead of doing that, you could run:

dovecot --exec-mail imap

which reads dovecot.conf and executes imap binary. Mostly useful just
so that you don't have to try to figure out what environment variables
to use for what settings.