[Dovecot] installing dovecot on Mac OS X

Alan Schmitt alan.schmitt at polytechnique.org
Wed Oct 20 21:48:56 EEST 2004

* Timo Sirainen (tss at iki.fi) wrote:
> On 20.10.2004, at 20:34, Alan Schmitt wrote:
>
> >- What authentification method would you recommend? OS X does not keep
> >  the users and passwords in /etc/passwd, so I'm using passwd-file
> >  method at the moment. I'm wondering how good a choice this is.
>
> I think it does update /etc/passwd? At least my userid is there. You
> should be able to use PAM as passdb, and passwd as userdb.

Unfortunately it does not seem to update it. I see very few things in
/etc/passwd.

In fact, the header from the file says:

top% cat /etc/passwd
##
# User Database
#
# Note that this file is consulted when the system is running in single-user
# mode.  At other times this information is handled by one or more of:
# lookupd DirectoryServices
# By default, lookupd gets information from NetInfo, so this file will
# not be consulted unless you have changed lookupd's configuration.
# This file is used while in single user mode.
#
# To use this file for normal authentication, you may enable it with
# /Applications/Utilities/Directory Access.

> >  however I could not find a imapd to call directly. Is this possible
> >  with dovecot?
>
> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap

Great, thanks a lot.

> >- I see that the maiboxes created under the Maildir directory are of
> >the
> >  form .INBOX and .Sent. Could it be possible (maybe using namespaces,
> >  have not really understood how they work) to store them without the
> >  leading dot?
>
> Not yet. It's the Maildir++ standard. I may implement something else
> some day.

OK, this is fine, thanks.

I have a question about procmail, but I'll ask it in another message.

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.
.O.