[Dovecot] imap idle on non-inbox?

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Fri Oct 22 18:40:31 EEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 02:22 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Anyway .. How is that feature useful with offlineimap? And why couldn't
> you implement it by just making it send STATUS for each mailbox every
> few minutes? Without the mailbox index that's pretty much the way it
> would have to be done in Dovecot internally (unless you use dnotify
> with maildir).

Actually, I misunderstood what you were saying. What I'm looking for is
a notification when dovecot detects a new email.
For some reason I thought it might be RFC-conforming to send an untagged
STATUS on changes, even if the client didn't explicitly ask for it. But
that probably just shows my ignorance of the IMAP RFC.

The point is that offlineimap is nice for the first sync, but all syncs
after that are horribly slow because it keeps rescanning all (big)
folders. Since I am sync'ing between two dovecots (one local, one on the
mail server) I figured it'd be far more efficient if offlineimap just
waited to see if any of them reported any changes somewhere and then
propagated those to the other side.

Probably just confused,
johannes