[Dovecot] Re: Maildir unreliability

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Oct 26 03:21:26 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> writes:

> I don't have a problem with readdir() returning a file that doesn't
> exist anymore. I have a problem of readdir() not returning an existing
> file. The exact opposite.

What rename/move operation exactly is problematic? Files _should_ be
travelling from new/ to cur/, not vice versa, although marking a mail as
"new" in mutt for instance might cause the "reverse" move.

So the problem appears to be that readdir misses a file renamed from
cur/ back into new/ behind our backs, no?

I haven't read your code yet, is a renamed file in the same directory
hiding from readdir() the problem?

>> Unfortunately, cur/ is often bigger than new/.
>
> Are you trying to say that files wouldn't be allowed to be renamed
> inside cur/ to change their flags?

Certainly not.

--
Matthias Andree