[Dovecot] Dovecots pop3-UIDL command impl. not RFC compliant ?

mymailingslists at gmx.at mymailingslists at gmx.at
Thu Sep 2 16:15:10 EEST 2004

Hi !

POP3-RFC (1939) speaks about UIDL command:
The unique-id of a message is an arbitrary server-determined
string, consisting of one to 70 characters in the range 0x21
to 0x7E, which uniquely identifies a message within a maildrop and which
persists across sessions.

When I issue an UIDL command (dovecot 0.99.10.9)
I get replies like

1 1093990148.1
2 1093990148.2
3 1093990148.3
.

You see the problem ?
'0'-'9' and '.' are not in range 0x21-0x7E !

Currently I'm tracking down a nasty problem with Outlook 2003 together with
dovecot acting as pop3 server.
Multile pop3 accounts, with 'leave mail on server' on. (cant turn it off)
for no apparent reason, a couple of mails (just a few out of
thousands/hundrets)
get re-downloaded again, and again, and again ... as if client had not seen
it before.
Might be a client problem ... while trying to find out the reason for this
behaviour if found this UIDL thing.

I fear it might not be the true reason/problem for my problems with outlook
redownloading certian mails forevr, but I thought it doesnt hurt to report
it ;)