[Dovecot] Problem with mysql...

Jacek Osiecki joshua at hybrid.pl
Mon Sep 6 11:04:54 EEST 2004

Hello,

I am trying to run dovecot on my Linux. I am using an exim 3.30 as the MTA
with vmail-sql virtual users.

I have installed latest dovecot release and ran through the config file.
Some options seemed unclear to me, but generally I think it is OK.

The problem is, that MySQL authentication does not work. It even does not
try to authenticate! Dovecot connects correctly with MySQL database, but
then no activity is shown in MySQL logs - but when I try to login manually
with the telnet, i get:

[root at mainframe root]# telnet localhost 143
Trying 127.0.0.1.143...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK dovecot ready.
1 login [my_email] [my_password]
1 NO Authentication failed.

Maybe I am doing something wrong? I have spent two days with this problem,
even modifying source files could not help me localize the source of my
troubles :(

Here are the important (I think) entries from /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:

-------
# Authentication process name.
auth = default

# Space separated list of wanted authentication mechanisms:
#   plain digest-md5 anonymous
auth_mechanisms = plain

auth_userdb = mysql /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf
auth_passdb = mysql /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf
-------

Any suggestions?

Best regards,
--