[Dovecot] Problem with mysql...

Tom Metro tmetro+dovecot at vl.com
Mon Sep 6 23:55:42 EEST 2004

Jacek Osiecki wrote:
> I have installed latest dovecot release and ran through the config file.
> Some options seemed unclear to me, but generally I think it is OK.
>
> The problem is, that MySQL authentication does not work.
[...]
> auth_userdb = mysql /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf
> auth_passdb = mysql /etc/dovecot/dovecot-mysql.conf

In addition to what Timo suggested, I'd recommend first trying to get
logins to work using more traditional user and password databases (i.e.
/etc/passwd). Otherwise you end up debugging general configuration
problems at the same time as SQL database configuration problems.

(My yet to be completed Dovecot-MySQL HOWTO will include this tip.)

  -Tom