[Dovecot] "Invalid offset returned by binary tree"

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Fri Sep 10 23:21:27 EEST 2004

Hi,

I'm running 0.99.10 on OpenBSD 3.4/i386, with Squirrelmail as the only
client.  I recently had dovecot fail with this in syslog:

Sep 10 14:34:55 pirx imap(alisgray): Corrupted index file
    /home/alisgray/mail/.imap/INBOX/.imap.index: Invalid offset returned
    by binary tree: 118
Sep 10 14:34:55 pirx dovecot: child 20827 (imap) killed with signal 11

Poking around some, I see that dovecot.org recommends mmap_no_write=yes
for OpenBSD... but that option's not implemented in 0.99.10, afaics.

Does the symptom I'm seeing match the expected failure mode of OpenBSD's
noncoherent mmap?

I deleted .imap.* (after saving a backup) and that seems to have fixed
the problem.  I can provide a copy of the bad file for debugging, if
necessary.

And of course, if it's a known bug fixed in 1.0-test, I'd be happy to
upgrade.

-andy