[Dovecot] problems building / starting test40 + test42

Curtis Maloney cmaloney at cardgate.net
Tue Sep 14 02:39:33 EEST 2004

Hi

	I was trying to build test40 (and then test42, since it came out in the mean
time) on my fresh Solaris 9 box at home, and ran into a few snags.

	First problem was during the build.  Make spat the dummy in the auth directory:

Making all in auth
make: Fatal error in reader: Makefile, line 701: Unexpected end of line seen
Current working directory /home/pkg/dovecot-1.0-test42/src/auth

	So, I went and checked it out, to find what certainly looked to me like an error:

697:distclean-generic clean-generic maintainer-clean-generic clean \
698:mostlyclean distclean maintainer-clean
699:
700:        checkpassword-reply.c
701:
702:# Tell versions [3.59,3.63) of GNU make to not export all variables.

	Originally, I tried tacking that onto the end of the preceding list, but when
the next problem came about, I tried commenting it out... with no joy.

	The next problem was in starting it.  I've configured Dovecot before, and it
runs great, keeping all the users at my work happy and supplied with spa...
erm... e-mail.  I also have an older test version installed on an old
SparcStation 5 at home.

	But when I try to start it, it complains of not being able to drop root group
privileges.  I googled about for a bit, and found mention of ensuring the
minimum GID level was set right... but still no joy.  I'm at a loss.

	Any suggestions?  Any requests for better info to help debug?

--
Curtis Maloney
cmaloney at cardgate.net