[Dovecot] Postfix-TLS/SASL-rimap

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Tue Sep 21 23:51:52 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 19.9.2004, at 04:41, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>
>> Will Dovecot support the Cyrus SASL library rimap mechanism?  If so,
>> is there anything I need to enable/verify for it to work?
>

> No.

Waaah.

> Is it useful feature?

Maybe - I haven't used it yet!

> Why not just use sql/ldap/whatever?

I may do so.  I'm trying to setup our mail environment with as little
overhead as possible.  At the moment, Postfix and Dovecot are retrieving
user information from the passwd file.  I wanted to add TLS/SASL access
for remote clients to send via our Postfix server - and I didn't want to
have to maintain a parallel user database just for that.  But I may look
at setting up an SQL/LDAP backend for these services - I didn't see the
need with our small user pool.

Daniel