[Dovecot] Postfix-TLS/SASL-rimap

Daniel L. Miller dmiller at amfes.com
Thu Sep 23 08:24:00 EEST 2004

Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 21.9.2004, at 23:51, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
>
>>> Why not just use sql/ldap/whatever?
>>

>> I may do so.  I'm trying to setup our mail environment with as little
>> overhead as possible.  At the moment, Postfix and Dovecot are
>> retrieving user information from the passwd file.  I wanted to add
>> TLS/SASL access for remote clients to send via our Postfix server -
>> and I didn't want to have to maintain a parallel user database just
>> for that.  But I may look at setting up an SQL/LDAP backend for these
>> services - I didn't see the need with our small user pool.
>

> Hmm. I think I misunderstood your questions then. You're trying to
> make Postfix authenticate against Dovecot IMAP server? That works of
> course, rimap sends normal IMAP login command. I think. I've only read
> the manual page.

Apparently it either doesn't work - or I'm not doing it right.

To be a little clearer:
- I have a Internet relayhost running Postfix.  This is where the
TLS/SASL is needed.
- On an internal server, I have a Postfix server for internal mail
delivery with Dovecot for IMAP access.

As I type this - I guess I do have two list of valid e-mail users - one
in the relayhost's passwd file, and one in the internal host's passwd
file.  Well - not entirely - the aliases are placed on the relayhost's
alias file.

So the actual "accounts" are listed in the internal host's passwd file -
which the relayhost should NOT be able to access!  rimap seemed like a
simple plug-n-pray solution - and I'd still like to know (just 'cuz!) if
it will work.

 From my mail log -
Sep 22 22:21:57 foxy saslauthd[10353]: auth_rimap: unexpected response
to auth request:
Sep 22 22:21:57 foxy saslauthd[10353]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=dmiller] [service=smtp] [realm=amfeslan.local] [mech=rimap]
[reason=[ALERT] Unexpected response from remote authentication server]
Sep 22 22:21:57 foxy saslauthd[10354]: auth_rimap: unexpected response
to auth request:
Sep 22 22:21:57 foxy saslauthd[10354]: do_auth         : auth failure:
[user=dmiller] [service=smtp] [realm=amfeslan.local] [mech=rimap]
[reason=[ALERT] Unexpected response from remote authentication server]

Daniel