[Dovecot] Concerned about Dovecot's new NTLM code

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Mon Sep 27 11:01:28 EEST 2004

Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Perhaps we have different aims - but I had hoped that there was some
> interest in the corporate mail server space, where proper domain
> integration is critical, and single-sign on (which is what NTLMSSP
> provides) is expected.

I, for one, wouldn't mind moving towards single-signon (we are a corporate
environment).  I hate multiple user databases, and in fact replicate our
vpopmail database (which is what Dovecot uses for authentication) out of the
internal Netware servers, but it means that e-mail has a different password than
the Netware login.  I may try to use the eDirectory/PAM support in SuSE
Enterprise 9, but I already have to support NTLM in some form internally.

This is a long winded way of saying that I would be interested in seeing the
Dovecot code offer more ways of tying into backend authentication sources and I
know from personal experience that Samba is an important part of such an effort...

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group