[Dovecot] Public folders / namespace documentation

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Sep 27 14:43:45 EEST 2004

On 27.9.2004, at 14:06, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> Does Dovecot support public folders?
>
> I thought it may do via namespaces, but having searched the Wiki and
> the
> documentation, I can't find how namespaces are defined.

Hmm. Yes, I suppose that would be possible nowadays with maildir. With
mbox the problem is that if you're using multiple UIDs for users the
index file permissions get set wrong. Unless you store indexes
separately for each user.

namespace public {
   separator = .
   prefix = Public.
   location = maildir:/var/mail/public
}

You'll also need to create dovecot-shared file there with permissions
and GID you want to use for created indexes and mails.

Anyone have thoughts how to do this best with mboxes?