[Dovecot] pgsql and default_pass_scheme

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Sep 29 19:16:23 EEST 2004

On 29.9.2004, at 05:20, eL gino wrote:

> I am running Dovecot 1.0-test46 on FreeBSD with PostgreSQL as backend,
> runs _very_ nice, but i can not set
> "default_pass_scheme = CRYPT" (only PLAIN) for PostgreSQL Auth in
> dovecot-pgsql.conf.
>
> I have a valid entry in pg_hba.conf (and reloaded/restarted):
> "local    mail        mail
> crypt"
> If i replace crypt in pg_hba.conf with md5 it works also with plain in
> dovecot-pgsql.conf?

You're misunderstanding something. pg_hba.conf only controls who can
connect to PostgreSQL database. That is the connect setting in
dovecot-pgsql.conf.

default_pass_scheme specifies in what format the passwords stored
inside the database are.

The crypt/md5 entry in the pg_hba.conf means the format of the password
what you gave in CREATE USER command. Dovecot doesn't need to know
that, it needs the database password in plaintext.