[Dovecot] We couldn't drop root group privileges

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Apr 3 01:30:26 EEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 00:08 +0200, J. Erik Heinz wrote:
> 	imap(jerik): Apr 02 19:38:03 Fatal: We couldn't drop root group
> 	privileges

What Dovecot version and operating system? At least one reason for this
was fixed in later Dovecot versions..

> If I understand the dovecot.conf wright, the is the user root required
> for running dovecot "auth_user =  root". That's why I don't understand
> the erros message.

The error message happens because jerik user is in wheel/root group and
Dovecot wasn't able to drop it. You could also allow that group by
setting:

first_valid_gid = 1

> By the way, through the installation there was the user and group
> dovecot created, should this user start dovecot at boottime? Or should
> he be used for other tasks?

Dovecot uses it internally. It should start as root.