[Dovecot] public or shared folders

Richard Stegman rstegman at cfse.com
Thu Apr 7 22:35:02 EEST 2005

Hello

I would like to setup a public namespace with folders under it that are
accessiable by certain users.
Something like this:

Projects----

                  |-----03060

                  |-----04579

Users should be able to move emails from their inbox to the shared
folders, and all user can see the moved email.

Here is what I have done so far:

1. I installed dovecot-1.0-0 4 stable20050221.rhf3.at.i386.rpm to a
Fedora core 3 machine with Postfix and procmail.
2. Tested mail server - both pop and imap work.
3. Modified dovecot conf. file with the following entry:

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix    =
   inbox     = yes
   hidden    = no
}

namespace public {
   separator = .
   prefix    = Projects.
   location  = maildir:/var/mail/Projects
   inbox     = no
   hidden    = no
}

4. Restart dovecot.  Test - imap and pop work.
5. Create group imapu. Add email users to group imapu
6. Create (as root) /var/mail/Projects.  Change group to imapu. Change
mode 770
7. Touch file dovecot-shared to /var/mail/Projects. Change group to
imapu. Change mode 770
8. Make directory /var/mail/Projects/.03060. Change group to imapu.
Change mode 770
9. Touch file dovecot-shared to /var/mail/Projects/.03060. Change group
to imapu. Change mode to 770
10. Restart dovecot.

I start up thunderbird and the Project namespace shows up. I then
subscribe to 03060 and get this error:
The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded: Error in
IMAP command UID: Invalid BODY[..] parameter: Missing '>' <10240.-1357>'.

I click ok and I can move email from the inbox to 03060.  The mail shows
up in 03060.  No other user can then subscribe to 03060.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Rick