[Dovecot] dovecot rpms, .subscriptions file, mbox to maildir

Saurabh Barve sa at atmos.colostate.edu
Thu Apr 14 23:18:52 EEST 2005

Chris Wakelin wrote:
> Saurabh Barve wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am running dovecot 0.99-14 on a Fedora Core 2 machine. I had a few
>> questions:
>>
>> 1) I wanted to upgrade to the dovecot-1.0 release. However, I am not
>> sure if that's really required. dovecot-0.99-14 has been running very
>> well for me for quite some time. Is there a real advantage to
>> switching to the latest release. The reason I'm asking this is because:
>>    i)  I don't have too many users to server - around 15 only.
>

> We've got 15,000 or so (mind you, it's a big server!). We're thinking of
> migrating from UW-IMAP to Dovecot 1.0-stable.
>
>>    ii) My mail server is a pretty fast machine (~1 GHz, 1 GB RAM)
>>        machine, so hardware isn't too much of an issue.
>>    iii) I like to install software from rpm's. It's not that I can't
>>         install from source, but installing from rpm's makes it much
>>         easier for me. Just a personal preference. The version of
>>         dovecot that I am running was obtained from Dag Wieers web site.
>>         I haven't seen a newer version there. I've googled for rpm's for
>>         newer versions, and they are available, but I don't want to
>>         install it from some third party source that I don't know/trust.
>

> Me too, at least in Linux (but we're using Solaris). However, if there
> isn't one, I tend to "roll my own". You get the benifits of package
> management and you can always share them with others!
>
>>    iv) I am also planning to support web mail for my users (probably
>>        through Squirrelmail). Are there any advantages/disadvantages to
>>        upgrading dovecot for that?
>

> Probably not? Squirrelmail and other PHP-based webmail clients will make
> lots of connections, so you'll be relying on Dovecot's indexes to
> prevent the server getting clobbered.
>
>>    v) People use Mozilla Mail, Mail.app, Thunderbird, Outlook, and
>>       Opera. Does the 1.0 version provide better integration with
>>       different mail clients (even though I understand that
>> sometimes it's a problem with the client implementation).
>

> There have been a few fixes in 1.0, but if your users are happy with
> 0.99, it might be better to stick with that.
>
>> So, are there newer version of dovecot (1.0-stable) available in rpm
>> formats which are guaranteed to be safe and un-trojaned? And is there
>> any really good reason why I should upgrade to 1.0-stable?
>

> For me, it was support for hidden IMAP namespaces (which can be used to
> hide the migration from UW-IMAP) that decided it. Also it's more likely
> to get patches. But "if it's not broken, don't fix it!"
>
>> 2) My second question is about creating the .subscriptions (or
>> subscriptions in 1.0) file. When I moved people over from using pine
>> to using a mail client like Evolution/Thunderbird, I had to create
>> .subscriptions/.mailboxlist file for them so that they could see the
>> folders that they had created in pine. However, people still sometimes
>> access e-mail using pine. They then create new folders in pine, which
> [...]

Thanks for the quick comments, Chris. I hope the dovecot-1.0 shows up as
an rpm soon on the apt/yum repos, so that I can upgrade painlessly. The
one mail client I've had real problems with is Thunderbird. It doesn't
like to read the folders inside ~/mail for some reason. Apparently,
there were quite a few posts on the list in the last couple of months
suggesting that T'bird implementation might be broken. Mozilla Mail,
though seems to work without a hitch.

I had another question that I missed in my last post. I was supporting
Secure-IMAP using dovecot for some time. However, the self-signed
certificate expires in one month. I understand that there are
security-issues in letting the certificate last indefinitely. Is there a
way around this? Or do I just keep regenerating the certificate every month?

Thanks again,
Saurabh.
-----
sa at atmos.colostate.edu