[Dovecot] maildir in NFS

Xavier Beaudouin kiwi at oav.net
Fri Apr 15 14:32:07 EEST 2005

Le 15 avr. 05, à 10:50, Lev Butyrev a écrit :

>> I think it might be replaced with "mmap_disable=yes" (see the
>> dovecot-example.conf). I guess the nfs.txt file is a little out of
>> date.
>>
>> Chris
>
> I try to use option "mmap_disable=yes", but in dovecot logs same
> messages:
> "mail_index_lock_fd() failed with
> file /var/mail/sam-butyrev.lk/dovecot.index.log: No locks available\
> ..."
>
> In syslog such messages:
> kernel: lockd: cannot monitor ip_address_nfs_server
> kernel: lockd: failed to monitor ip_address_nfs_server
>
> nfs server Solaris 9
> nfs client linux slackware 10.1 with kernel 2.4.29
> Sory for my english.

In general with NFS :

- you should not use mmap (or only if you are 100% sure that client
*and* server support that)
- you should not use kernel locks
- you should  use *dotlock*

Only such dotlock are 99% sure to be atomic and usable what ever the
nfs client / server is.

Kernel locks are passed to lockd that have limitation. Eg you can have
only limited number of kernel locks on NFS server / client in the
contrary, a dotlock is a plain file so you don't have any limits
(excepted the inode number on NFS server, but this another story).

/Xavier

--
Xavier Beaudouin - Unix System Administrator & Projects Leader.
President of Kazar Organization : http://www.kazar.net/