[Dovecot] no password reply

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Mon Apr 18 13:21:57 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 11:31 +0200, Marc Baudoin wrote:
> Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> écrit :
> > On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 20:57 +0600, Askar wrote:
> > > "dovecot-auth: ldap(branch): No password in reply"
> > >
> > > Is this Freebsd error , or active directory is not configured correctly
> > > or dovecot bug?
> >
> > It means Dovecot's LDAP support is broken currently in 1.0-tests. I've
> > forgotten my test LDAP server's admin password and couldn't figure out
> > how to change it, so I'm waiting for someone else to fix this :)
> > OpenLDAP is annoying.
>
> But LDAP is increasingly used to provide a central password
> repository (for e-mail, Web interfaces, etc.).  It is a mandatory
> requirement for servers that use authentication, such as Dovecot.

We find MySQL or pgsql a better central password repository.  I wouldn't
say SQL or LDAP was mandatory, passwd/shadow support maybe.  Everything
else can go through authentication wrappers for most things if a program
doesn't support them, and since Dovecot is pre-alpha I think I does a
bloody good job at authentication with so many systems and schemes.

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing)