[Dovecot] message status changed from new to old on read

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Apr 20 12:32:12 EEST 2005

There are two relevant flags associated with a message in IMAP, "SEEN"
and "RECENT". "New" messages might be considered unread ones (don't
have the "SEEN" flag set) or "recent" ones.

The client gets to modify "SEEN", which it typically does when it reads
the message. The server is the only thing that can modify "RECENT",
which it does when it has notified a client that has "SELECT"-ed
(i.e. opened) the folder about new messages.

I assume "offlineimap" is behaving just like a normal client and
"SELECT"-ing the folder in order to download messages. If it doesn't
want to change the "RECENT" status, then it should use "EXAMINE"
(opens mailbox readonly) instead of "SELECT". Likewise, it shouldn't
set the "SEEN" flag unless it wants to signal that the message has been
read.

In other words, Dovecot is behaving correctly as far as I can tell, and
offlineimap is probably to blame. See RFC 3501 (e.g.
"http://rfc.net/rfc3501.html#s2.3.2.") for details!

Best Wishes,
Chris