[Dovecot] about filtering and dovecot

Bram Mertens bram-mertens at linux.be
Thu Apr 21 13:56:08 EEST 2005

Hi

I would like to set up a local mailserver but I'm getting lost with all
the available options. As I have already decided to use dovecot I hope
someone here will be able to point me to the right docs/HOWTO's/...

Here's my wish-list:
1) download mail from my ISP's POP3-server
2) scan with spamassassin
3) scan with ClamAV
4) filter messages (mailing lists/sender/...)
5) store messages in dovecot
6) be able to read messages on my desktop (where all of the above will
be running) and on my laptop
7) be able to send messages (currently using evolution) from both my
desktop and laptop so sent messages are stored in dovecot (the idea is
to be able to see all sent messages on both PC's)

I have already created a test-account om my ISP's POP3-server, installed
and configured fetchmail and dovecot. Exim has been installed as well
but I haven't touched it's configuration yet. Running fetchmail manually
collects the mail and stores it in /var/mail/m8ram where dovecot finds
it.

So I would like to know (how to find out) how I can achieve 2), 3), 4)
and 7).

I have looked around and have discovered that there are many programs
that can do some or all of this. But I haven't been able to figure out
how to get them to work with dovecot.

e.g. I don't understand what I would have to change to dovecot's config
if exim or procmail or whatever moves certain messages to different
folders (or even where these folders would be created).

Perhaps I'm missing a HOWTO that explains all this, if so please let me
know.

TIA

Bram
--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens at linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# debian testing            kernel 2.6.8-1-686     i686     512MB RAM #