[Dovecot] Why is "UIDVALIDITY changed" fatal?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Apr 23 18:25:00 EEST 2005

On 20.4.2005, at 21:01, Chris Wakelin wrote:

> However, in some cases UW-IMAP seems to change the UIDVALIDITY value
> (not sure why!) and when Dovecot tries to sync it notices this and
> gives up with a fatal error on opening that folder. Opening the folder
> a second time is then OK.

When all messages are expunged, UW-IMAP and newer Dovecots (2005-02-08
in -stable) should write a "pseudo mail" (Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS
MESSAGE..) to make sure the UIDVALIDITY isn't lost. Doesn't this always
happen with you?

> I was wondering why Dovecot can't just rebuild the indexes silently in
> such cases

The easiest way to handle it was to just mark the index corrupted and
let normal error handling paths deal with it. I changed it now in CVS
not to do this.

> (which seems to be done by returning "0" from the
> mbox_sync_loop() routine)?

It re-syncs the whole mailbox, but it doesn't recreate the index files
after they've been marked as corrupted.