[Dovecot] about filtering and dovecot

Bram Mertens bram-mertens at linux.be
Sun Apr 24 19:42:07 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 13:41 +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
[...]
> OK, although I am an exim developer etc, I think in this case your
> interests would be best served by using procmail as an MDA of fetchmail
> (or similar), doing spam scanning, virus scanning and filtering from
> within that.  Pushing stuff through the MTA here is not really gaining
> you much and probably making things more complex especially as you
> really need to tune the MTA config to make sure you don't generate
> strange bounce messages when things go wrong.

I've been reading about procmail and exim and the latter appears to be
overkill for my situation. I may still look into get and/or maildrop
(thanks Marcus) before using this on my main accounts but for now I'll
try to set this up.

So far I've configured fetchmail to deliver messages to procmail and the
filtering is working fine.

However I don't know what directories the mail should be delivered to
and how to configure dovecot to see it there.

I tried the ".some-folder/" notation from the procmail quick start which
results in hidden (dir-names starting with a dot) subfolders in
~/Maildir.

What should then be the value of default_maildir
in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf? (something like /home/%u/Maildir/?)

> Not that I'm saying being on the exim lists are a bad thing :-)  I spend
> far too much of my time looking after them.

Perhaps I'll join this list later, right now I'm already having trouble
keeping up with the lists I'm subscribed to.

TIA

Bram
--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens at linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# debian testing            kernel 2.6.8-1-686     i686     512MB RAM #