[Dovecot] File isn't in mbox format - Couldn't open INBOX

Stephen K. Gielda dovecot at steve.cotse.net
Sun Apr 24 19:51:33 EEST 2005

At 12:25 AM 4/19/2005, Kenneth Porter wrote:
>--On Sunday, April 17, 2005 3:52 PM -0400 "Stephen K. Gielda"
><dovecot at steve.cotse.net> wrote:
>
>>I see it too.  You running procmail by any chance?
>
>One of my users had this happen to her Trash folder today. She's using
>Mozilla 1.8b1 and the server is dovecot-0.99.13-4.FC2. I found the file
>had a string of null's at the front. I removed the nulls and everything
>was fine again.
>
>I have procmail set as the delivery agent, but that folder should never
>get mail delivered to it. (She has no .procmailrc to do per-folder delivery.)
>
>I don't see anything else in the log to suggest why the folder might have
>gotten corrupted.

Procmail does seem to be a common denominator, don't know if it's
coincidental or not.  The same happens to us, some users have folders that
procmail shouldn't have been delivering to.  It happens when the user is
deleting, but I'll be damned if I can pin it down further because I have
not yet been able to duplicate.

/steve