[Dovecot] Feeature requests (server failure handeling)

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 10:08:26 EEST 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 07:37, Tomi Hakala wrote:
> Andrew Hutchings wrote:
> > 2. Have a dead server response setup.  Freeserve/Wanadoo do this by
> > setting a flag in their software which accepts all POP connections
> > regards of user/pass and says there is no mail (users don't panic and
> > flood the phones for a while then).  Not sure how you would do this with
> > IMAP though.
>
> I'v been thinking the same thing. One issue that has crossed my mind is
> that how POP3 clients work in case like this when user leaves his/hers
> mail on the server.

Hmm...A read only mailbox maybe.
I know...a single mail that can be downloaded once by every user which says a
server status until system is fully online, could even be held in the config
file.  A small DB in RAM or a file or something could state who has 'deleted'
the message so they don't download it twice.
Either that or give them a BOFH excuse when they phone :)
The phones went non-stop for 4 hours when our NFS failed, everyone but me was
at a trade show, and due to a bug in exchange a customer of a customer had
accidentally generated several million E-Mails over 24 hours with the bounces
pointed at us which filled the backup NFS server HDD so that wasn't reliable.
It would have been so much easier if I could have switched the phones off :)
I had a fun day :)

Regards
Andrew
--