[Dovecot] Track when user last checked mail

Dominic Marks dom at goodforbusiness.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 00:47:57 EEST 2005

On Monday 25 April 2005 22:25, Del Stoliker wrote:
> First off I've just got to say thanks.  We just upgraded from UW to Dovecot
> migrating from mbox to maildir.  Wow, what a difference!  Load average used
> to hang around 5.0 during business hours and could get up to 20+ on a bad
> day.  Now we rarely break 1.0!
>
> I'm wondering if there's a way to keep track of the last time a user
> checked their email and whether they checked it using POP or IMAP.  We're
> trying to gather statistics on what protocols our users use and find
> accounts that haven't been checked for a long time.  We used to be able to
> do some of this with the finger command and the user's mbox.  I found a
> script called "mfinger" that works better with Maildir, but it's designed
> for Courier.

You don't say how you wish to access this information, but this works:

egrep "(pop|imap)-login: Login:" /var/log/mail.log | grep USERNAME| tail -1

Assuming you run it before you rotate your logs, or you could miss out.

Another way is to modify Dovecot a little and have it record whatever activity
details you want directly into a Database, ie: SQLite / MySQL. This should be
simple to do for some inclined developer (if this is a commercial project).

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

HTH,
--