[Dovecot] Basic configuration problem "not a directory"

Einar Flesaker einar at flesaker.no
Tue Apr 26 11:06:58 EEST 2005

Hi,

I've been struggling with getting dovecot up and running the last hour,
but I seem to be stuck.

When logging in (which I can do successfully) my connection is dropped,
and the following is outputted to my dovecot log:

dovecot: Apr 26 09:56:52 Fatal: chdir(/bin/false) failed with uid 513:
Not a directory
dovecot: Apr 26 09:56:52 Error: child 27345 (imap) returned error 89

.. But I'm certain the relevant directories exist. Relevant
configuration details are as follows:

* [dovecot.conf]
valid_chroot_dirs = /var/spool/vmail
default_mail_env = maildir:/var/spool/vmail/$d/%n/

* [passwd sample]
einar at domain.com::513:513:/var/spool/vmail/domain.com/:/bin/false::

* [directory listing]
[root at server einar]# pwd
/var/spool/vmail/domain.com/einar
[root at server einar]# ls -l
totalt 12
drwx------  2 virtmail virtmail 4096 apr 26 07:27 cur
drwx------  2 virtmail virtmail 4096 apr 26 08:48 new
drwx------  2 virtmail virtmail 4096 apr 26 08:48 tmp

I'd be very grateful for any assistance, any ideas of what might be
wrong. Is there any easy way to see the relevant directory that
/bin/false exits on?

-Einar-