[Dovecot] Basic configuration problem "not a directory"

Einar Flesaker einar at flesaker.no
Tue Apr 26 11:46:45 EEST 2005

On Tue, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:12:15AM +0100, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> It looks like dovecot is mistakenly picking up "/bin/false" as a
> directory (rather than a shell) in the password file.

Ah, I didn't catch that. Thank you!

> What OS and version of dovecot are you using?

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4, using dovecot-0.99.11
(Stock RPM, dovecot-0.99.11-2.EL4.1).

> You could prove my theory by changing /bin/false to something else in
> the password file as a test.

Your theory was right. Removing references to a shell at all did the
trick, actually:

einar at domain.com::513:513:/var/spool/vmail/domain.com/:::

.. And I no longer get any error output on that.

I'm now seeing folder errors, though. With pop3 I get the following in
my dovecot log:
pop3(einar at domain.com.com): Apr 26 10:28:12 Error: Couldn't open INBOX:
(null)

With IMAP I'm just unable to browse folders, and get no error message
from dovecot. Squirrelmail provides the following : "ERROR : Could not
complete request. Query: SELECT "INBOX"".

Any more leads?

Thanks for the help so far :)

--
-Einar-