[Dovecot] Shared mailboxes and accessing MailDir not through IMAP

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Tue Apr 26 10:53:00 EEST 2005

Hello,

I'm testing Dovecot that is part of Debian/sarge (v0.99.14-1).
So far so good. I have migrated some mailboxes for testing with success
and seems that everything works fine.

One thing I do not figure out is, what to do about shared mailboxes, which
are the very reason of searching for an alternative IMAP server,

The Wiki states that there is some sort of shared mailboxes, based upon
symlinks. Well, but since which version actually?? The Changelog stops at

What I need is a mailbox (maildir) for a contact address (not a real
shared mailbox, but several users shall be able to read a mail and delete
it after processing). For this, one needs write permission to the mails
therein only, the MDA takes care of to make the mails readable for the
group. It would be good to see, if somebody had answered a mail already,
but that's not required.

What I tried is this:

I setup all Unix-permissions of the folders (. cur new tmp: u=rwx,g=srwx)
and their parents (u=rwx,g=x).
Then I placed a symlink into the maildir of all users.
Each user caches the INDEXes into an individual /var/ directory, not in
the maildirs themselves. (BTW: I wonder why I need to give the group write
permission to the base directory '.').

The mailbox shows up and is read-write.

Now I wonder, what impact I'm to expect here? Esp. "The only problem is
that currently everyone's message flags would be shared as well."
(quote from a message of a thread taken from the Wiki)

Then there is http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2003-March/001113.html
the third item will apply to my situation, I guess.
MailDir is (sort of) expected to be read by mutt directly, for instance.
Because the mailboxes are located within the users home directories, some
of them do this.
Do this item mean that Dovecot is NOT expecting that mails are deleted in
any other way than through itself? Otherwise Dovecot would find a change
in the mailbox and rebuilt the index file regardless whether the change
had been originated by another IMAP client or by directly manipulating the
maildir.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser