[Dovecot] many instances om imap and imap-login

Dominic Marks dom at goodforbusiness.co.uk
Tue Apr 26 18:05:22 EEST 2005

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 15:19, you wrote:
> Thanks for extensive answer.
>
> I will look into all your suggestions.

Please keep the mailing list in the response, it allows other people to
provide advice, follow the conversation, and you get, hopefully, complete
solutions stored in the archives waiting for Google to index.

> Answers to you questions:
>
> Are the mailboxes being accessed via Webmail?:
> 	yes they can but arent at the moment (squirrelmail)

Webmail can cause lots of extra connections to me made.

> What Mail application are your users using?:
> 	Thunderbird 1.0.2

Don't have much experience with this client, although it works when I've tried
it. Others may be able to provide experience here.

> Have you checked what state the connections are in?:
> 	 Do you mean of they are connected or not? when I run top I do see
> instances called IMAP owned by each user so I asume they are connected

mail# netstat -f inet -p tcp | grep imap
tcp4       0      0  mailserver.imap        client01.1386          ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0  mailserver.imap        client02.1344          ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0  mailserver.imap        client01.1108          ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0  mailserver.imap        client03.54607        ESTABLISHED

mail# netstat -a -f inet -p tcp | grep "*.imap*"
tcp4       0      0  *.imaps                     *.*                   LISTEN
tcp4       0      0  *.imap                       *.*                   LISTEN

FreeBSD 5.4 with a few Outlook and KMail clients.

--
Dominic
GoodforBusiness.co.uk