[Dovecot] docecot and procmail?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Apr 27 00:44:47 EEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 14:13 -0700, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> Is dovecot still considered unreliable when combined with NFS?
>
> Is this true for mbox only, or Maildir as well?
>
> If dovecot Is still considered unreliable with NFS, how about having a
> dovecot mode that would chain into procmail for delivery, so that dovecot
> doesn't (necessarily) have to reinvent that wheel?

I'm not sure what Procmail has to do with NFS unreliability. You can use
Procmail to store the incoming messages, but the problems come when
mailbox is actually being accessed with IMAP/POP3.

The problem isn't in either mbox or maildir, it's Dovecot's index files.
It's of course possible to store indexes to local disk, but if you're
using multiple servers you'll get worse performance whenever latest
indexes can't be used.

Recent 1.0-tests should be somewhat usable with NFS too. I think someone
in this list already is using it.