[Dovecot] local users + virtual domains

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed Apr 27 09:54:22 EEST 2005

I'm redesigning our mail server which holds several hundred mailboxes -
most are local system users and some are virtual domains that we host. I
understand that the 1.0x stable release allows for multiple auth
mechinisms, so that I could use both PAM for local users and a
passwd-file for the virtuals. If I want to stick with 0.99x can I mix
and match in a single passwd-file the username/passwd for both local and
virtual users?
In dovecot.conf I'd have something like:
default_mail_env = maildir:%h/Maildir
auth-userdb = /etc/dovecot/passwd-file
auth-passdb = /etc/dovecot/passwd-file

then in passwd-file I'd enter: