auth sig11 with gdb bt (Was: Re: [Dovecot] debs for 1.0?)

Lorens dovecot.fdop at tagged.lorens.org
Wed Aug 3 19:39:13 EEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005 at 02:57:48PM +0100, Chris Wakelin wrote:
> I think 0.99.20050712 is 1.0-stable (presumably from 12th July). See

Oh, yes, it is. I should have wondered more about that date-coded
version number.

I installed the unstable packages on my sarge, got

	dovecot-auth: Aug 04 10:48:29 Fatal: Unknown userdb type 'mysql'

googled that to mean mysql wasn't compiled in, decided that was
unlikely, modified the config files since there were changes, and now
/etc/init.d/dovecot starts OK but the process dies immediately, logging

dovecot: Aug 03 17:59:33 Error: child 28322 (auth) killed with signal 11
dovecot: Aug 03 17:59:33 Error: Auth process died too early - shutting down

And googling that I find

	http://dovecot.org/pipermail/dovecot/2005-June/007661.html

where Timo says

% I think this was because of some missing or wrong that I fixed
% 1.0-test but not in 1.0-stable.. Could you get gdb backtrace
% of this so I can finally fix it? :)

So maybe it's not some kind of library problem due to my
installing sid packages on sarge?

No further mails on the subject that I can see, and that mail is
dated one month before the date of compilation of the dovecot
I'm running (well, trying to ;-)), so maybe this will be useful:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x401a51b0 in strcmp () from /lib/tls/libc.so.6
#1  0x0805b0f5 in parse_setting_from_defs ()
#2  0x08051e53 in db_ldap_unref ()
#3  0x0805b586 in settings_read ()
#4  0x08051f10 in db_sql_init ()
#5  0x08059baf in userdb_deinit ()
#6  0x080590e2 in userdb_preinit ()
#7  0x0805292c in main ()

Going from dovecot-stable-latest.tar.gz (can't find any versions
from June), that seems to be in ./lib-settings/settings.c dated
Jan 31 2005 so it hasn't changed since my version was compiled,

        for (def = defs; def->name != NULL; def++) {
                if (strcmp(def->name, key) == 0) {

which would mean that either def->name or key is corrupted (I
suppose that's unlikely) or key is NULL, I was called from
db_ldap_unref . . . and that's where I'll bomb out, because a) I
don't see how db_ldap_unref calls parse_setting_from_defs, there
seems to be a function passed as parameter that could explain it
but that learning curve is a bit steep for me at 6:30PM, and
b) I have *definitely* not configured ldap in dovecot.

Ideas? Config workaround?