[Dovecot] Thread sorting problem

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 7 15:46:13 EEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 15:05 +1200, Greg Trounson wrote:
> I've just installed Dovecot on a Debian Sarge machine and am seeing some
> very strange thread sorting.
>
> In Mozilla Mail and Thunderbird on both Fedora and Debian clients my
> threads served up by Dovecot look like this (number denotes message time):

Mozilla and Thunderbird do their threading internally and IMAP server
can't affect how it's done.

> Where the exact same threads served by Sendmail/imap look like this:

I don't know about Sendmail/imap, but a quick google lookup shows it's a
webmail client, so that probably uses Dovecot's threading code.

> Squirrelmail shows the threads correctly in both cases too, so I suspect
> there might be something funny going on with how Thunderbird handles
> Maildir threads.

So Squirrelmail shows it the same way as Sendmail? Then Dovecot is
working properly, and Thunderbird is just threading differently than
you'd want.

>   I notice that Dovecot doesn't support the
> THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT capability, might that have something to do with it?

No. No-one probably wants ORDEREDSUBJECT-threading.