[Dovecot] Failed authentication to a mysql database (bug or PEBKAC?)

Michael Gabb megamimi at gmx.de
Tue Aug 9 12:20:16 EEST 2005

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a mailserver running postfix and dovecot with mysql
as database backend. Postfix is already running and delivers mails just
fine. Unfortunately, dovecot has great problems connecting to the
database (using username + password). If I disable the password,
everthing works fine. But, thats harakiri, security wise ;-)

I tried dovecot-1.0-stable and the latest cvs-nightly (I think from
August 9.). With both versions, I get the following error (there are
little differences between the to versions, but the meaning ist the same...)

dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connect failed to localhost
(my_dbname): Access denied for user 'my_user'@'localhost' (using
password: YES) - waiting for 1 seconds before retry

My connect string is as follows:
connect = host=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock user=my_user
password=my_password dbname=my_dbname

Both versions are compiled with the following settings:
./configure --prefix=/usr --localstatedir=/var --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--sysconfdir=/etc/dovecot --enable-ipv6 --with-rawlog --with-ssl=openssl
--with-pop3d --with-mysql

"make" runs cleanly. Then I use "checkinstall" intead of "make install"
because I want to generate an rpm package, but that shouldn't make any
difference.

Im using the following packages from suse (since im building the server
upon a SuSE 9.3): mysql-4.1.10a-3.2, mysql-devel-4.1.10a-3,
mysql-client-4.1.10a-3 and mysql-shared-4.1.10a-3

I don't have any clue, why the connect fails. The password and the
username are both correct (triple verified ;-)) and the user has SELECT-
and USE- Permission for my_dbname.

Is there any known bug i didn't know about? Or is this a typical PEBKAC
situation?

Thanks in advance,
Michael

--