[Dovecot] Mail disappearing

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 13:50:08 EEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 10, 2005 at 08:22:03PM +1200, Steve Kurzeja wrote:
> >On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:46:57PM +0100, Paul Tansom wrote:
> >>Please don't scare the wotsits out of me, I've just abandoned Courier
> >>IMAP for two reasons:
> >>
> >>1) it seems incapable of handling subfolders anywhere but below the
> >>Inbox and the only help suggested is that I should ask the people
> >>writing my mail client to fix it - so that covers Microsoft (x2),
> >>Mozilla (x2), Eudora, Evolution and Squirrel mail for starters!
> >>
> >Of course it can't because it uses the brain-dead convention of
> >folders all being files at the same level with '.' separators in the
> >filenames indicating folders.
> >
> The "dot" notation for folder hierarchy doesn't matter. Its the
> implementation of the imap server itself as to how it handles the folder
> hierarchy.

How could you implement a hierarchy that *isn't* rooted at one point
with the "dot" notation then?  It's essentially impossible as far as
I can see.

You can move the point at which it's rooted but it's inevitable that
all its 'folders' will be rooted at the same place.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."