[Dovecot] Migrating UW-POP3 mbox storage to Dovecot POP3 mbox storage

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Aug 14 23:49:49 EEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 15:05 +0200, Rickard Svorén wrote:
> We are now migrating both hardware and software to an new server running RHEL
> 4, i have copied all user mbox files from the old RH9 server to the new RHEL 4
> server (/var/spool/mail) but when the users are trying to get their mail they
> can login but Dovecot is complaining about some IMAP dirs missing, see attached
> docs. I would like to still use POP3 and mbox with Dovecot, is this possible ?
> I would rather not have to change the user files.

Dovecot wants to store at least index files somewhere. Changing their
location elsewhere gets you further:

default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/index/%u

Although Dovecot still wants to create the ~/mail directory and fails if
it can't. You could probably just delete that part of the code
(src/lib-storage/index/mbox/mbox-storage.c create_root_dir()) although
then you'd have to be sure that the directory exists for IMAP users. I'm
not sure if I should change this in any way for the main Dovecot
distribution..