[Dovecot] warning: dovecot list is being harvested

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 13:34:04 EEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 15:24 -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> Just a warning to dovecot listmembers. The list is being harvested.
> test3943395 is a unique address I created only for communication to the
> dovecot list.

Of course it is being harvested, it is a public list which is picked up
by google and other search engines.  It doesn't take a genius to write a
script to convert mailman munged addresses to real addresses.
I don't see the spam or viruses coming in because I have a very good
spam filter, I am a member of several lists and run 1 list, I personally
get around 100 spam messages a day, my wife gets 300.  99.9% of which
are filtered out.

Regards
Andrew

--